Wednesday, January 2, 2013

The Magician and Cars

Watched the pilot to "The Magician" staring Bill Bixby. I loved that show in  the 70s. A magician that helped people. He flew around in his own jet and drove a white Corvette. My doctor in Glasgow had one of those, and I thought and still think they are the coolest car ever.

Thoughts like this creep up on me and I want to try and make a point of writing them down.  They are part of who I am and why I am. The better to know me.

My first and favorite car was a 1979 Buick Skyhawk with a Road Hawk package. It had a front and rear spoilers, was a hatchback and had a small sunroof. They came with an AM/FM 8-track player - which I did remove and put in a cassette deck. I remember my friend from Kemper, Bruce Temple putting in better speakers in my car doors. In those days it wasn't that complicated; but I remember him taking a knife and cutting a hole in my door. I thought, "My God, I just let him cut a hole in my car door. I hope he knows what hes doing." He did.

I remember looking at the car with my dad and him asking if I was sure I wanted it. He then said something I didn't understand at the time.

"But its got bucket seats."

"So?"

He just said ok, and got it for me. I added a CB radio (those were the craze in those days). I didn't understand what he meant until I tried to crawl into the back seat with my first girlfriend Debbie, a couple of years later. Then I understood. But since it was a hatchback, I just folded the seat down and there was plenty of room to snuggle. I remember parking on a dirt road in Boonville by a lake to listen to music and make out. That road is now paved and the area is built up; though the lake remains. I can't help but smile and remember.

Dam I miss that car.






No comments:

Post a Comment