Sunday, January 6, 2013

Music is the soundtrack of my life

What makes a person who they are? Is it one singular incident, that 'turning point' in someones life or are they multiple ones? Or is a person just born a certain way; nature vs nurture? Or does it really matter?  For me, I believe in the cause and affect rule. Something happened, whether once or more than once and that elicited an effect.

My musical tastes might be a good example. I love the 70s and 80s music. Thank goodness for satellite radio! I am listening to a Chicago song. And as Brian and I once discussed, Chicago is or was Peter Cetera. Though the Chicago sound is more brass; as long as they had a good singer who could carry the melody, I might actually argue that the real Chicago music is that. I have the compilation of all their songs and I have heard songs of theirs that I am not a fan of. There are very few groups/singers that I like everything they do. Lets see; Barry Manilow, Rocket Kirschner (local Columbia guy), Joshua Kadison, Jim Croce, John Denver and England Dan and John Ford Coley to name a very few. I can honestly say with EDJFC I like 99.9% of everything they put out that I have heard. And as far as I know, I discovered them on my own. The radio helped no doubt, but I think I went out and got their albums and then I would share them with people who were special to me so the bond grew. Another group would be the Eagles.

I liked the Eagles when I heard them; One of these Nights, Desperado, Tequila Sunrise, Hotel California...but I also remember Bunch having one of those 8-track players, with a handle on the top that you would hit to advance the track. I remember he had that and either Hotel California or The Long Run. Just like Carol, my first Sunday School teacher/youth leader, whatever... but she had a blue Firebird with t-tops. I remember when the youth group went camping at the camp ground (now gone) at Rocheport. and she had a  Doobie Brothers cassette. I remember then going with my dad to a Radio Shack where I got a cassette player and 2 cassettes. One was Doobie Brothers - Taking It To The Street. The other was a Helen Reddy one. Talk about two very different groups.

I remember Nichols from Kemper, riding with him and his homemade cassettes; Marshall Tucker Band and Billy Joel. Craft got me into Jim Croce - Photograph and Memories.

Just like there are songs that go with certain people. I hope we all have that. A song will take you to a time and place long ago. And while that song maybe playing at another time, there will return you to a time that is never forgotten with people no longer here at places that are gone. And you will remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment