Monday, January 7, 2013

I'd recognize that face anywhere!

Even after 30 years there are some people I can recognize anywhere. A prime example was a few years ago a guy came up to me at a reunion. Sidled is the best way and he was looking at me and started to say,
I bet you don't remember..."

"Wait a minute," I said. I looked at him and replied, "Reuben Makekau."

"Wow," he said. "Even the first name."

There are some people you never forget. also, he looked exactly how he did 30 years ago. A bit of silver in the hair, and maybe a few lines, but I'd have known him anywhere. Also, he will always look like he did from way back then. There are just some people you never forget.

When I'm with these people that I first met in my young and formidable teenage years, I see how they were then. Bunch will always be Bunch. I would recommend he keep his hat on as he is lacking in the hair department. But to me he will always have that curly blond hair. Not to mention, he is truly one of the most professional trumpet players I have ever seen. He had band camp stories way before the guy who wrote American Pie even knew how to write. The same with George. Most professional trombone player I have ever known. It was an honor, privilege and a joy to play with them. George will always be George; his height is the most memorable and that damnable smile of his. One of the quickest wist I have ever know. Both of those guys I consider closer than brothers, that what Kemper did, And I could not forget them.

Now some of the younger guys who may have only been there a year or two... yeah might take me longer. And then there are some of their voices. Garret, when he showed up at my second weekend, I didn't recognize him initially as it had been a few years, he had put on a few pounds and was wearing glasses. But as soon as he opened his mouth, I immediately knew. Hard to hide that Texas drawl of his.

Wilkey... can't  forget him or his voice.

That's why I hate Alzheimer's.  You get robbed of the memories of people, places and things that are important and special.

I'm not sure how the guys remember me; I know that I may look similar and at time behave similar. But time has taken a toll.

Thanks for the memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment