Monday, January 28, 2013

Ghosts at Kemper

As you may or may not know I went to Kemper Military School & College in Boonville, MO for high school and also got my junior college associates degree from there. The majority of my close friends are from there. I loved the school and I was also the 3rd generation of my family to have attended. The school shut down in 2002 due, in my opinion, to a long history of mismanagement of money along with inflated egos. Again, that's just my opinion.

The vice president of the alumni association, a woman who I 'helped' raise since she was 14 called me up and wanted to know if Math Hall, a building that had been refurbished and was currently being used by State Fair Community College for classrooms, was haunted. I replied of course.

'By whom?' she asked.

Old Boys, alumni. They are probably a little pissed that there are non-cadets in there along with women. Kemper started taking female cadets in 1976, so you are going to have some real old fashion ghosts; especially if there were a lot of women. I told her they would probably make noise, throw things, etc. Nothing bad or evil, just throwing temper tantrums. She said that all the clocks in the lower classrooms were smashed. I said, yeah that sounds about right. They are probably not keeping the schedule they feel is correct. She wanted to know if a picture of the founder, F.T. Kemper would help. Couldn't hurt I said. I told her I'd talk to them when I was back. A 3rd generation Old Boy should carry some weight with the dearly departed.

I doubt if it will completely stop them; but maybe we can curtail some of their displeasure. I remember some experiences when i owned the house across the street that used to be a barracks. But that's another story. I will say that my wife (now ex-wife) learned not to talk crap about me.

No comments:

Post a Comment