Monday, January 21, 2013

Nickerson's Farms

Nickerson Farms were a chain of road side restaurants/rest stop/gas stops before all the Casey's and other littered our highways. I remember the one that was at Emma, MO. It was strategic for when my parents would go to Kansas City as a rest stop and refuel. One of it's gimmicks was that it had a big bee-hive behind glass and you could see the bees. They also sold the honey and other crafts. Very similar to a Cracker-Barrel. I remember and still have some magazine-books that would be fore-runners of the Chicken Soup books written by Dan Valentine. I have since searched for him online and have not found anything relating to him and the books that bear his name.

As I got older and started driving the highways, I stopped there a couple of times for gas and to have a meal.  It was just a neat place I thought. The red steeple roof was eye catching. Unfortunately they didn't survive into the late 80s. I was sorry to see them go. I immediately know when I see one that is another business. Their design is fairly unique. And their memory is a warm spot inside me.

No comments:

Post a Comment