Wednesday, January 30, 2013

I say a movie is cute and use Dodgeball as an example

And we had snow today. Nothing too bad, just enough to let us know that Mother Nature has a sense of humor. With the temperature dropping the last two days and then it looks like the temperature is rising for the next two days, what can you say.

I like movies. Most movies. My friends say I have a one word description which is 'cute'. They're right. But I also have a secret. If someone asks, what did you think of that movie. I can say, it was cute. Why? It just was. That way I don't have to defend what I liked about or get told that that thing could never happen, how can you like that person, etc etc etc. It saves a lot of arguments from people who have way stronger opinions on things. A movie is a way to suspend disbelief and to transport you away all the while telling a story. Unless its a documentary with actual footage; its not suppose to be true to life. Nor, do I care what kind of message; unless its the story. I don't want some subtle message in my movie. If that was suppose to be the movie then it would be a movie and not something that's subtle.

Take Dodgeball. Simple. Small gym with average people going up against the big bad gym. Interesting characters; a lot over the top. Vince Vaughn is great in this.  And you have a plethora of cameos from Lance Armstrong, David Hasselhoff to Chuck Norris. And its Vegas bay-bee... so lots of girls, lights, etc. In the end the good guys do win. And that's the whole story. There's love, dodgeball and plenty of stupid gags. It's a cute movie. Could it happen? Who knows. Little guys get mad enough, pissed enough, they can do some amazing things. Add luck, fate, whatever. Do people like them really exists? Yep. the good and the bad. So a David vs Goliath is a good theme. All with human frailty  stupid stereotypes and hopefully like Vauhn says at the end; you are fine the way you are. But if you want to loose some weight and make some good friends, come on down. I just love how husband and wife Stiller and Taylor are on opposite side of this. You know they had fun 'hating' each other, especially when Stiller had to smack her in the face with a ball. Probably a stunt double but still. And the ending with Stiller being all fat and gross and totally playing it up is disturbing and hilarious at the same time.

So yeah, it's a cute movie. I give it 8 out 10 stars.

No comments:

Post a Comment