Thursday, January 3, 2013

The Farm and a B-52

I was watching an old movie called "Bombers B-52". Classic cold war film, but good shots of the plane. This got me thinking back to the farm. I know; what, not Kemper? Nope. The farm was located in central Missouri and close enough to see commercial jets constantly flying over head. Thats one of the reasons I love watching planes and their contrails. My dad would always look also. It was the modern way of guessing 'where a train was heading' game. I know my father would have loved to travel more, but he didn't like planes. A bad experience with a bi-plane/barnstormer in the 30's pretty much set him against air travel, no matter how safe they were.

But back to B-52s. Since SAC HQ was in Omaha, and Omaha was north of us, I saw many jets heading back and forth from there to probably Whiteman AFB. One time I remember seeing this B-52 do a lazy turn over the farm. He had to have been low and slow as when he turned, I could see the whole wing; from tip to tip. He just did this, what I consider lazy turn and then leveled and flew on. I wish I had a camera to take a picture. But I have that picture in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment