Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Daddy Dearest

My roomate from Kemper's daughter is engaged. They are my 'nieces'/God-Children...haven't seen them in years but stay in touch via FB. In any case, God gave him daughters for all his old wild and wolley ways, but he and his wife did a great job with them.  Can't wait til he becomes 'grandpa.'

But that got me thinking. As I said, music is the soundtrack of my life, and songs take us back to a time and place. For me to think about him will always bring to mind "Thunder Island" by Jay Ferguson. The reason is that was the song that was playing once when we G.I ed our room for an inspection. It was a Saturday morning and we were living on first floor K barracks in a room that in the winter time was so warm we had to open the window. In any case, that song was playing on KDBX, the local Boonville radio station. I don't know if it played every time we cleaned, but I remember that time; coming through my clock radio.

He was like Robin Williams in his young days. He was the big brother I never had; I wanted to be like him. He was part of the 18th ABN. Served in Germany and Desert Storm. I really wanted to do the things he did, and be like him at one time. He seemed fearless; still is I guess. 

But that was then and this is now. The song always brings a smile to my face as I can still smell the Windex and Pine Sol.  A great song to clean too.

No comments:

Post a Comment