Friday, January 23, 2009

Track 3 - Soldier in the Rain


Ok, my all time favorite song is this: Soldier in the Rain by England Dan & John Ford Coley. I heard this song while I was at Kemper, and before all the current stuff was going on, when the military wasn't getting the respect and consideration it deserves, back in the Cold War days. I could see myself coming home from Kemper, standing on the overlook in Glasgow, (that I helped dedicate), and watching the river go by. Or up at the look out point in Harley Park in Boonville. Because at the time, coming home was all I thought of, seeing my family and friends. Actually, all my family and friends were at Kemper, so coming home WITH them would be more appropriate. I always thought that was going to be a secure firebase for us; the farm. I should have remembered that static fortifications can be breached by vertical envelopment. That was a part of my past. Like the green fatigues or b.d.u.s, have given way to the military uniform of today.

Soldier in the Rain

The morning clouds are gathering around As I stand on the bridge of the river Years have gone since I was here And I wonder how I differ Taxi cabs keep rolling by And a blind man asks for change And here I stand a soldier in the rain. Coming home was all I thought of ... Seeing my family and friends They say love knows no distance But the longing never ends And all along the dreams I possessed My heart never were to plain And here I stand a soldier in the rain I remember years ago I had so many plans And now I watch the river flow Time has brought me here With empty hands I remember years ago I had so many plans And now I watch the river flow Time has brought me here With empty hands The morning clouds are gathering around And the streets are full of reflections A traffic light and the moon still bright People going in different directions I've thought about why I'm here Its just too hard to explain And here I stand a soldier in the rain In the rain...

No, I never served a day in the real military. I have always said that not going in the Army was my biggest mistake. My claim to fame has always been Kemper.

Its funny-to try and explain Kemper, the bond, the people. It likes in the song-It's just too hard to explain. Or from the military stand point, if you weren't there then you can never know. Any 'civilian' words would not do it justice. Wars and battles are fought all the time. At all ages. I was thrust into the battle of growing up and tempered with finding a brotherhood

No comments:

Post a Comment