Wednesday, January 7, 2009


This will be the entry that I actually write about my thoughts, happenings, pizza. Because I am going to start posting a story I wrote, in other entries. So here goes.

I know now, that when you start writing, after a while there is so much stuff you are thinking about and wanting to put down, you don't know where to start. I always envied those people who can do everything in order, chronically, etc. Me, I like tangents, because you never know how you are going to get there.

I used to love to drive around when I was younger and explore different roads that I had never been on, just to see where they led. I knew so many different routes from the farm to anywhere I wanted to go. I'd take off on a Sunday afternoon, have the music on, sunlight coming through the windows and the sunroof, and just feeling good. Truly a carefree time. I miss my first car. It was a 1979 Buick Skyhawk, with a Roadhawk package. Front and rear spoilers, a sunroof, bucket seats, hatch-back and an 8-track player!

I got it the summer of my 16th year. I was driving around in the families Chevy Nova, and I don't think Dad wanted to give it up. Also, I had been doing great at Kemper, so he felt I earned it.

When I saw it, it was one of those 'love at first site' moments (see the picture at top). I was never big on cars. And the only ones I had been exposed to were the few teenagers around Glasgow, or some of the guys at Kemper. Our Corps Commander my first year had a white Trans-Am. I was once up in D barracks and looked out the window toward the parade field/football field. I saw his car starting to come back, he was obviously going faster than he should, but it looked so cool. I remember that as if it was yesterday.

I also remember another friends car there; Conner's had a red 240Z. He had parked once near the barracks on a Saturday night and was talking on the CB. Before cell phones and the Internet, CB airwaves were just as good and free.

So you can see, I was limited on what I had been exposed too in the way of vehicles. I also knew nothing about internal combustion engines or how a car worked, or for that matter, really up keep. I still know nothing about cars except basic upkeep and care/maintenance. My ex was aghast at that and couldn't believe it. I told her at the time I was more interested in weapons, could break-down and re-assemble an M-16 in under two minutes, could lay out an ambush, fields of fire, could do basic first aid, do a recon report and knew how to set up a claymore. She was unimpressed. I guess it all depends on what people find important.

I made the comment to my friend George about what she had said. He said he didn't know that much either, and as far as I was concerned, while I may not know anything, but if someone was working on my car, I would be right there, trying to help or trying to learn. George has always been the one person, while practical jokes aside, when it comes to serious stuff, I take to heart. Because the ex did do a number on my head for a while.

It took a few years to shake out the crap she told me about myself, and get it out of my system. I have mentioned that people who are closet to you can really screw with your mind if they ever fall out of love with you. That's the one thing that I can count on with the guys from Kemper. We can't get rid of each other. Not through action or deed or divorce. We know most of their younger, dirty little secrets as they know ours. The only thing that will get rid of us, is death. And even though gone, they are never far from our thoughts.

But back to my first car, (see, tangents). When I told my dad, this is the one I wanted, he said, "It has bucket seats in the back." I said yeah, so what? He never said anything. I never understood that comment, until I tried to get into the backseat WITH someone. I then understood. Luckily those seats folded down, like I said, hatchback. So I kept a sleeping bag spread out when I had the seats down. I could lay back their and listen to music and watch the stars through the big back window, or raise the back and watch that way.

I remember when my friend convinced me to get rid of that 8-track and put in a cassette deck and new speakers. he said he would even install them for me. I never thought twice, UNTIL he jammed a knife into the plastic section of the doors, where the new speakers would be placed. I was worried then that maybe he had over-estimated his abilities. I shouldn't have worried. Again, while a lot of my Kemper guys may stretch things with everyone else; with each other we are always straight with. We may over-estimate our abilities, but we would never hurt one of our own by misrepresenting ourselves.

That's why, another friend, "Luscious" plays around with what alphabet agency he was with while in Washington. He once made the comment after I had said to him, "We all thought you were with the CIA." He laughed over the phone and said, "Well, I don't do that any more." While I still say he would have made the perfect spy, and a lot of the things he has said still makes me believe he did things, I have never asked him directly. See, if he was instructed or signed off or did whatever he was suppose to do by never revealing what he did or who he worked for, by me asking him directly, would put him in a position. By playing around and around, he always has plausible deniablility. And he would never lie to one of his own. I know this. That's why, as fun as it is to pull his chain, I would never put him in a position with a direct question, looking for a direct answer.

In closing, our W.o.W words of wisdom: To get what you want (gold) you do have to work for it (profession).

No comments:

Post a Comment