Wednesday, January 7, 2009

The Start of "Frisky's Tail"

While growing up, my mother would tell me a different chapter of this every night. I remember the origins and only a few of the others. I would love to make this into a book; my only problem is that I am not sure if I want to leave them in the years of my growing up, or bring them into the here and now. Every day I will keep adding to to this story until the origin is told. Who knows, maybe by then I will have figured out where they go from there. I hope you enjoy this. And yeah, I was the little boy...go figure.

The ocean’s water was warm and the sky an indigo blue, even though it was December in Florida. The beach was deserted except for a small boy and some cats.

Still being fascinated by everything on the beach, the boy let the water toll over his small feet and the sand tickle his toes, innocence yet to be corrupted by age.
A mother cat and her five young offspring more or less kept away from the water though the mother cat followed closely behind the boy. The kittens, despite their felineness, were trying to figure out what was going on with this wet stuff that kept rolling up on them and then retreating. They couldn't catch it, no matter how hard they tried. All they succeeded in doing was getting their fur wet and their tongues full of sand every time they tried to clean themselves.

One of the kittens, more adventurous than his four brothers, kept frolicking in the water. He didn’t mind the wetness; it felt good on his fur and was fun. He lagged behind with the boy and his mother. His brothers were all in front, exploring instead of playing in the wet and rough stuff.

Bending down and picking up a shell, the boy cleaned it off and put it in his yellow plastic pail. He had a number of shells in it and was excited to take them back home to Missouri so he could use them for show-and-tell on what he did on his Christmas vacation.

The small yellow kitten that was following him stopped, as his keen feline eyes saw something. Where the shell had been was a shiny. The kitten looked around to see if brothers were watching, but they were too far ahead. His mother, rubbing against the boy, turned, saw her son and cried for him to hurry up.

Frisky (his name apt for him) looked that the shiny. It was partially buried and he had to dig to pry it up. Finally coming out of the wet sand with a rough tug of his paws and claws, it lay there, a round piece of hard stuff, the color of his fur. He rubbed the excess sand off when suddenly there was a big human man standing before him. Instincts took over and he jumped, just the way his mom had taught him when there was danger; only he found he couldn’t move. He looked around and found that everything had just stopped.

The man smiled at him, and Frisky felt his fur prickle.

“My, aren’t you a wet one? I’ll say this is a first. I’ve never served an animal before,” he said as he picked Frisky up.

Frisky tried to hiss his best anger face, but was shaking too much from the water, which was now cold to him. He wondered if he’d ever see his mom or brothers or Little Master again.

“Don’t worry my new master, you’ll see them, and there is nothing to be afraid of,” the big man said in perfect feline.

“H-h-h-how did you k-know w-what I w-a-as thinking?” Frisky shakily asked.

The big man in the funny clothes laughed aloud, “I can read minds. It something that helps a genie when it comes to serving their master.”

“I don’t know what a genie is, but I belong to Little Master.”

“Ah yes, the boy. So you call him Little Master. Why?” he continued to stroke Frisky’s fur, and could feel the kitten’s heartbeat slow down.

“B-b-b-because that is what he is. His mother calls him. He’s our Little Master.”
The man turned to look at the frozen boy, “He loves you.”

Frisky’s face brightened into a grin as big as a small kitten could make, “And we love him. Right after we were born, Momma took us to him so he could name us. He plays with us and feeds us. We live in a farm somewhere else, and we play with the dog, Fireball, even though Momma told us that not all dogs like cats. But Fireball loves us and we…”

The man held up his hand to stop the flow of words coming out of the kitten’s mouth. “Let me explain what is going on. You have some things to decide. Allow me to introduce myself: I am a genie, a creature that can do magic. You found me and released me, so you are my little master.”


to be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment