Friday, January 9, 2009

Day 9 - Nicknames and Memories

While at the funeral of Chief, we, the Old Boys of Kemper were discussing nicknames with the new comers (i.e. wives) of the group. That's why "Chief" was "Chief" to us Kemper cadets and "Iggy" to others. The comment was made there was only one "George". The rest of us usually went by last names, rarely would we would use first names. But since the military always uses last names, that's how we did. And of course, like a fighter's call sign, like "Luscious" for a friend, as I mentioned previously, worked for some alphabet in DC. That name or "Sugar" was his.

Two other friends who weren't there had the nicknames "Roscoe" and "Duck." Roscoe came about from the movie "The Gumball Rally." This was pre-Cannonball Run. Anyway, the main police guy chasing them is called Roscoe. When he fails towards the end of the movie, not to catch them, again, he looks up at the sky and asks God "Why?"

"Because you are an asshole, Roscoe." It appears to come from the sky, but then the shot moves to another cop who walks off shacking his head.

I have no idea why he got that name; he wasn't a bad guy.

The other one was "Duck." And the reason was because he marched like a "Duck." Our bandmaster put it another way, but this will work for here.

And I, did I have a nickname? Why yes I did, a couple actually. And what, you may ask, were they? The one I will tell you about is "Farmer Boy."

One time at Band practice, Chief was getting frustrated, at all of us. When it came to be frustrated with me, he couldn't remember my name, so he just called me "Farmer Boy" since he knew I came from a farm.

The other one I got, because when my parents would visit Kemper, often, my mother would always ask "Where's Jim Barton?" (my middle name) She never got the whole last name military bit. Anyway, a friend shortened it. Initially, I hate being called that name. I didn't understand, until later that it was a sign of affection. A joke, yes. But like anything else, if your friends didn't pick on you, they didn't love you. So now, only those who went to Kemper or married into the Kemper family can call me that name. A friend outside Kemper heard it and started calling me that, and I asked him not too. He hadn't earned the right. I look at that name as a sign of love. So when I hear it, I immediately know its someone having to do with Kemper; and like a dog hearing a whistle, my ears pick up and I am a little more aware of whats going on.

The memory I have today to share has to do with the "Pina Colada Song / Escape." I Love that song! I remember when I first heard it; it was in Diamond Jim's restaurant in Glasgow. I think it was around my birthday, because as I got older, while at Kemper, my parents would take me out to eat steak for my birthday. And I remember eating prime rib and listening to this song. My mother ordered a Pina Colada as she had never had one before. She liked that drink, and on special occasions, she would order one. I remember sitting around with my parents and usually a friend or two from Kemper, eating steak. You know what I mean-you are at that age...not quite an adult but more than a kid. Teenager doesn't quite work as I knew teenagers at that time that were more mature than a lot of adults.

And lastly our W.o.W moment: You will run into people, who seem to just do or say things to want attention. That's why we have an ignore (button).

No comments:

Post a Comment