Friday, January 23, 2009

Bunch

I don't have normal friends. Now you can take that statement as its stands, but read as much or as little as you want. It could mean none of my friends are normal, or I maybe the one who is abnormal and by being friends with me they are doing more. I don't know, that explanation sounded better in my head. But I take it as I have a lot of people, who are friends, who, in their own ways are not normal. And that's good.

Take Bunch. I met him at Kemper (go figure). But he came after I had already been there. Also, he was from Arkansas and he tended to shake. His hands weren't as steady, unless he had been drinking. Also, he is the first person I ever met that I would hang the tag of a "professional' when It came to music and the band. He had been to a number of band camps (no American Pie jokes) and actually some of the jokes in the movie might actually have some basis in fact about some of the going ons. Also, about their routines and the band finals, and other things that I never even knew about. But I digress.

Also, in my opinion, he met the love of his life there, and of course lost her later on. But Bunch also became a close friend of mine, and delighted in using my nickname until I got used to it and understood it. He is the kind of guy that tells everyone about the "your name here" diet at McDonald's; which included 2 Big Mac, 2 Large Order of Fries, 2 Hot Apple Pies and a medium Diet Coke. LOL

He was also the one I could go to at 2 o'clock in the morning, wake him up and tell him about the great date I had.

And of course, I didn't know til after my first wedding what he said. They had never met my wife to be before then, so when he saw he come down the aisle and stand there next to me, he leaned over and commented to the guys that it was like a corvette marrying a Chevy. Guess who the Chevy was? But that's ok, cause it was funny and whether then or now, I would still agree with him.

But some people might thing from all that talk, that we weren't close friends. And they would be wrong. I can't go into or explain; it goes back to trust. And besides, I know where all the skeletons are buried... lol. Hell, I probably helped bury them. Or, as someone else pointed out the cartoon; A friend will help you move. A good friend will help you move the bodies. A true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "Dam, we screwed up!"

He also got me to appreciate strong musicians with horns, besides just Doc Severnson. Since we were all brass; Martin, Miles, Speidel, Whitney, him and I. Anything with that kind of sound. I will be talking about all of these guys and others, so not to worry.

I also remember he had a red camero or Z28 or something; he loved that car. I remember visiting him and he would take that thing through car wash about every other day. Had to be careful, no eating or drinking in the car, those sorts of things. And he had a plastic monkey from the Sonic in Boonville, when Boonville had a Sonic. He was very careful with that monkey; and it had been at least 8 years at the time.

He can play "Taps", especially echo taps, better than anyone I know. Him and Martin... I remember hearing them do that many times at Kemper; they would play that for lights out. I only wish they would play that at my funeral, but I don't rate, I'm just a civilian. But I have the memory, sometimes that's all we have and on those occasions it will have to do.

Also, his parents are marvelous. His mom is the true southern belle; a nicer lady you will not find. His father was a good ole boy, just like my dad. And his brother-former US Marine; another great person. I didn't know Tim, well, really at all, when I got invited to his first wedding (yeah Kemper curse got him, I guess through Greg) in Georgia I believe. Since I was "super cargo" meaning I had nothing to do there, not being a member of the family or bridal party, I was the go-fer and general fixer/helper. Not a problem. But I was part of the "family." Just those outside the Bunch's didn't know it.

I can see Bunch with one of his smug smiles or when he is talking and he opens his eyes real wide, or his laugh. You spend enough time around people, you can recall all of the little things. I want to do that. Bunch has a son from his first wife. Me, I'm it. So by blogging all of this I can remember all of this for him and if my memory goes, for me too. And Bunch did get me drinking W.L. Weller, because growing up that's all he drank. I had never heard of that liquor until I met him. Dad always drank Jack Daniels, so that's pretty much all I knew at the time. Score another for Bunch for that.

One last thing; we never really speak about how we felt about each other (you know, being guys and all....) but I know he knows that I have much love and respect for him and the others. I know its difficult for them sometimes, but it goes without saying that I would trust them my life.
I found something in one of the many books I am always reading. I won't try and do the set up, just state it: A man gets the companions he deserves. Note it doesn't say friends. I thought about that,as it was a military story about men in combat. I call these guys my friends, but they are more, as I have stated, they are family. So companions works.

Bunch, with much affection and respect...

No comments:

Post a Comment