Thursday, January 1, 2009

New Year, Day 1, 2009



Ben Franklin said, “If you would not be forgotten, as soon as you are dead and rotten, either write things worth reading, or do things worth the writing.” My dad said never write anything that you wouldn't be willing to say to someones face. In other words, whatever you write, you had better be prepared to answer for-that was how I took it. So, how do I want this blog to be? Serious? Funny? Made into a movie? A book? Yes to all of the above!


What I want, is to remember through words, things that happened to me, to the world and for anyone who doesn't know me, or who think they know me, to have a better understanding of me.

Words, stories and books have always taken me to lands far away. They have made me feel like that person I am reading about. I just want people to feel that way about what I write. My poetry seemed to do that. I always wrote from the heart; it was how I eased a breaking heart when I lost someone, who no longer felt for me. Funny though-after both my marriages (yes, I have been married twice) I never felt the need to write one. The first one was so much a shock, along with everything else that was going on, I didn't think about it, as I was doing my best to keep it together. After the second one, I was just numb, and felt more like I had failed. That ex really did a mind job on me. We were too much a like. When you are like that with a person, and they no longer care for you, that person knows exactly what to say to screw you up. It has taken me about four years to realize that she was talking as much about herself, I think than me. Was I all innocent? No. But neither was I all at fault. As my mother always said, it takes two to tango.

So, what this blog going to be? Who knows. Some entries I am sure people will like, and some may just say "ho hum." I also know I can not please everyone. In this case, I am only trying to please me.

With that out of the way, let me get to the topic of this day's blog.

Growing up on a farm, in another time in another place, when New Year's eve rolled around, and before I had my driver's license, mom and I would stay up until midnight, watching the celebration on one of the three tv channels, and then, with pots, pans and wooden spoons, make our own noise makers. Usually grandma and dad had already gone to bed, so we would wake them up with our banging. Simple pleasures. Like I said, another time.

As I got older, I wasn't at home for the eve. And older still I wasn't even in the state. I remember the best New Year's eve I ever had was when a friend got a suite at a hotel on Time Square for New Year's eve. This was pre 9/11, and I had a blast! That was the last time also, that I really partied. Luckily the block we were in, which was right in front of the hotel, wasn't too bad (one of the advantages of being a hotel guest). I drank champagne and others things from bottles passed around by people who were just having a good time, and who I never saw before and never would see again. I also remember a New Years in Savannah, Georgia with 2 friends from Mizzou. One of them hit it off with a girl at the bar we were at. And we got volunteered to help her move the day after New Years, because she had very nice legs, and convinced my friend to volunteer us.

Great memories of New Years eve if I do say so myself. There is so much more I could write, but don't want to go overboard, at least not this early on. I will close by wishing all a great new beginning for 2009.





No comments:

Post a Comment