Saturday, January 10, 2009

Day 10 - Music and Religion


Music means so much to me. And let me say right now, I am not a fan of rap or any kind of music that I can't understand what they are singing about. Love the 70's and 80's. In fact I have a playlist on my Zune (mp3) that is entitled: Songs to be played at my funeral. On another profile I have been trying to put down why some songs I want played and why. I may transfer that to this one, as that one was hit and miss and so far I have been writing every day here.

But what I want to talk about a song called "Laughed Until We Cried" by Jason Aldean. That line immediately calls to my memory about the 1980 commencement at Kemper. A dear friend in deed laugh until he cried; "Lucsious" (pictured here with me at the 2008 Kemper reunion. I'm on the left...) He had been at Kemper five years and was graduating to go on and do other things. How can you put into words a friend who has your back and you have his? Who is a practical joker and a contradiction in terms? For a long time he would pop up and disappear. But that's common for us.

The one thing that the spouses of the men and women of Kemper was that we could go months and years without saying anything to each, and then we would get together. The bond would still be there; tight as ever.
Anyway, music locks in a time that you can call back up. That's why the stars and music will be two things that will never change. The farm is gone. Kemper is gone. Chief is gone. But the memories from music, and the stars that look down on us remain.

Some people may ask about faith, since I have been talking about death a lot it seems. I can only speak for me, and this may seem simplistic and yet I will say it has worked for me all my life.

I was taught from a young age about Christianity. You could say "it was drilled into me." And honestly, I have no problem with a parent doing that. I don't want to hear about giving a child a choice. They are a child; the parent is a parent. When they get older, they can do what they want. Anyway, my parents did a great job in this area. I was taught that you do good and be the best you can. But you are a sinner, no matter what, so always know that God is watching. You ask forgiveness and try to be good. And when you die, provided that you were good and did the best you could while you were alive you would go to Heaven. And Heaven was paradise. It was perfect. You would see all your relatives, all your pets (I don't care, in My Heaven I will have my kitties and doggies and other animals that I cared about. If you want to go through forever with your animals that's your prerogative). The people who were in pain before they died would not be in pain. People would be whole. And from Heaven they would look down on us and watch us and hope and pray that we did the best we could and not embarrass them by doing something stupid.

So, when a friend/relative goes to be with God, I am sad-more for myself as I won't have that person around, but I am also happy that they will always be able to look after me. Like they probably did in life, they will do in Death. So I am always a little confused at funeral with people who say they believe and yet they are sad. It must be as I said, they are sad for themselves. And honestly, I feel bad, because, I know that means I am being selfish. Not taking into consideration that person. A funeral, like a wedding, is about that person.

And that's why I want certain music played. I do want some of the old standards: The Old Rugged Cross, Amazing Grace has always been a favorite of mine, but NOT ON BAGPIPES. I swear, I will come back and haunt someone if they do it. I may have some Scott or Welsh blood in me, but that has been over done. Nothing against the pipes, but I prefer a more traditional rendition, or for that matter, use the one I played on for the school record.

In closing, I may start putting those songs on here, the lyrics and the why I want them played, as that says a lot about me I think.

As for W.o.W. wisdom: Take time to fish, learn to cook and learn basic first aid. You never know when they will come in handy.

No comments:

Post a Comment