Saturday, January 16, 2010

Dollhouse

Ok Whedon, what, are you going the Abrams school of 'How To Screw Up A Franchise?' If I was any of your "regulars" I'd be pissed. Ok, killing Saunders was an interesting twist, as is the whole Boyd is Rossum. But, unless this was what you had on from the beginning...I seriously doubt it.

I don't know a lot, but the one thing I do know, is how to tell a story. All those years playing role play games... and this one feels like you threw the last season together as you forgot about your gaming sessions and the characters started doing things you weren't prepared for,

And now we know the world is going to end in 10 years. Yaaaah.

Maybe DH is cancelled so you didn't really care. I mean with Firefly, you didn't get the chance to screw with that, and it ended on a good note. Granted the note at the time was unknown that it was going to be the last note.

And Buffy, Angel, etc. After you started getting too wacky you lost me. I don't know if I grew up, but I think it is the Executioner syndrome. Whats that you say. Well let me explain.

For those who don't know, there is a series called The Executioner. Back in the 70s it was a series of books about a Viet Nam war vet who comes home to bury his family after his family is killed by the father and then the father kills himself. Because of the Mafia. Don Pendelton wrote 38 books (39 if you include the War Book which most people forgot about and its hard to find) and then he stopped. He knew that you can only go after the bad guys so long, loose friends, lovers, etc. Well people clam mered for more. So Mack Bolan was brought back, as were some of the special teams that he had developed; Phoenix Force and Able Team. Those series had a shorter run. About 50-75 each. But Bolan, then Col Phoenix, then Bolan... it was Communism, and every other bad guys out there. Then terrorists. But its the same thing. Good guy vs Bad guys. And trust me, I am a Bolan fanatic. But after money got tight I had to refrain from buying them. I stopped when they hit 300. Yeah there are over 300+ series in Bolan, and that doesn't include Super Bolans and then those other 2 off shoots. Sometimes its good to end on a high note instead of churning out a crap product. And Whedon, while you had some interesting things, and I liked how you explained why Echo as so important, the serum. Again, you had something great and you didn't know what to do with it. I think all series writers and creators should learn how to role play and get feed back from their players. Then they might understand what a good story line is. And how to end it. So far I have found dam few. As, I am sure, you start have to please the "Masters." Meaning, make more money. Not necessary a good story line, just whatever sells. Even in my better days I didn't believe that and still don't. You have a good product, people will buy. You have a crap product, people won't. Simple. Whedon, you had a good product with the Dollhouse. And then you didn't. Too bad. It would have been a heck of a role play game. But then, there are plenty out there now that I am sure GMs are already modifying to do that. You had no new spaceships like Firefly, no undead stuff like Buffy/Angel. And look at Twilight. Its sappier than either one of yours and look how they are clamoring. Bet you wish you could have a piece of THAT pie.
Good luck Josh. lets see what your next product will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment