Friday, February 20, 2009

Day 51

A funeral usually brings people back together, and Chief's was no exception. I heard that there were many there, and I am glad for that. I had already said my good-byes, and had even written about it. For those who hadn't had the chance yet, this was theres. It was also a chance to re-connect; and I had a few calls from people that were there. They laughed that there were a lot of brass there. Again, people not familiar with military rank will not understand; but since many of these former cadets had put in 15, 20 and some are still in, you had a lot of full bird colonels and a one star general there. That speaks highly of Chief. My friends, some whom I have not seen or heard from in 25 years calling me, and us picking up where we left off speaks highly of our relationship.

If you haven't figured it out, or if I haven't mentioned it, I am very proud and glad that I went to Kemper. I would not be the person I am today without that experience of the good, good friends I have. Kemper is my family. Outside of a few that I can count on my hands, all my dear friends, who are my family, come from there. When I mention to one of them that some friend who I know is like Kemper, that means they would have done well there. Its a shame that money problems had to lead to Kemper's closure. I had mentioned to someone that they wanted to film the movie "Taps" there, but our president at the time, a retired 2 star general declined. Stating that the move "portrayed the military school as a radical." The ironic thing is that had something like that had happened when I was there along with the others, who know. I do know that after the movie we lost our armory. Coincidence? Read my book (when I write it and it comes out.)

No comments:

Post a Comment