Saturday, February 7, 2009

Day 38 - 71 degrees and its February!



A good friend stopped by on his way through last night, and we went out to eat at Hooter's. Some may say, 'big surprise there' but its a sports bar, cute girls dressed in shorts and decent burger and fries. As we sit there munching, my friend makes the comment about our waitress's ... um.. 'assets.' He ask me if I thought she knew that people were observing what God gave her. I answered I am sure she does. And I am sure she makes good tips. And not just from her uniform.

In the restaurant business, being friendly is part of it. Just like at Starbuck's. Personality and professionalism. Say what you will about Hooter's but their wait staff is friendly and fun. My friend and I are also old enough to know that its act and we take it as such. But being friendly does make a meal improve in my opinion.

I was in there not long after it open for lunch once. I always bring a book to read when I eat by myself. Any way, the waitress who waited on me was very nice and friendly. And I asked, so what was her major. She told me, and we got talking. It was her and her boyfriend's 1 year anniversary coming up; he was on defense for the Mizzou football team. Well we had a nice chat and I wished her well and told her to tell the bf good luck, as I am a big Mizzou football fan.

See, things like that get her a good tip and me coming back. And yet, I have seen waitresses sat very little, or get crappy service. I know there are a lot of ways to deal with that; notes, low tips, etc. Too bad they can't learn from Hooter's. Again, yeah I know, funny. But since Hooter's is a theme bar, the employees are like actors. And instead of applause we are throwing money on how much we liked what they did. It's an illusion, just like the theatre. If you think its anything else, then you need to come back to earth.

But anyway, my friend and I had a great time just talking. It was stuff we had talked about before and will talk about again. But that's the sign of a great friendship. As I told him today when we talked on the phone, he energizes me. He reminds me of when we were at Kemper and he motivated me to do things, instead of just sitting and playing on the computer. Its good to know there are a few people who don't change. Good or bad, I am glad. Its one of those, 'if you weren't there (Kemper) I can't adequately explain it.'

It just is.

No comments:

Post a Comment