Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Day 34 - The question I never asked Mrs. R.

Another school year here at the big MU. Over here at the Missourian we help out a media sales class; so we are kinda like TAs or assistants or something. I enjoy that. In fact, last semester a couple of students sent me some nice e-mails thanking me for everything I had done and helping them. I remember the first time I helped out, I had 4 students. well I had copied some selling materials I had picked up over the years. They said that other students had asked if they could copy what I had given mine. Since then, I always try to have stuff ready to give out. Don't know if it helps or not, but better than just getting words and experience. No matter how experienced, having something in their hands should help. Anyway, what I was thinking was that I have not meet many educators/teachers outside of Kemper that left impressions on me. There have been a couple, but I think the difference is that at Kemper you worked hard to get knowledge from them. They had, you wanted it. You worked for it. After that, I had teachers that tried to give it to you, or just teached. As I said, only a couple stand out. So as I was contemplating this, I thought that of all the questions I asked Mrs R. at Kemper, and I know there was a lot; not to mention the trip to Europe I went with her on, the one I never asked her was, 'What she thought I should do with my life.' Or maybe more correctly, what did she think I would be good at. Unlike parents who would say that you would be good at anything or whatever you set your mind too. She would answer you with a direct answer. In a sea of generalizations, she would give you a straight and direct answer; not meaning to hurt if it did, but honest and thought out. I regret that I never did ask that. I did ask others and have remembered a lot of what she said. She was a walking Internet before there was such a thing. I wish that I had taken more pictures, more notes, etc etc etc. Its always "I wish..." as we get older. But mine are a bit different that a lot. As I said, I had done a lot before my fall from paradise. None of which I regret, because I can say, truthfully, been there, done that. Now, I just want to replace some of those past memories with new ones. But 95% of the people I could do that with are gone, have their own lives, not even in this state or the wrong age or sex; depending on what I want to do... lol.

No comments:

Post a Comment