Sunday, February 24, 2013

MASH

I used to love MASH. Then it got political. I remember something a Colonel or someone said at one of Hawkeye's court-martial's: I wouldn't want to lead a company of Hawkeyes into combat but I'd want them after that battle was over.  And Hawkeye said it best to Radar once; I don't know what you said, but I'll fight to the death your right to say it.

In any case, I remember Kemper when I see MASH. I know big surprise. But let me explain. We had a kid from Illinois, loved the Cardinals and was one of the nicest guys you'd ever meet. Like Radar. He came back to Kemper once before it closed; he was a major then. He's married, got two kids and took over his dad's insurance agency. He doesn't stay in touch with the rest of the Old Boys. Then we had a guy who was at Kemper cause he had to be. Like Klinger. Hes now a dentist in Texas with a wife and kids. I don't think he want to be reminded of how he was. We had others that mirror many of the characters on MASH. I'd still back any of those guys right now if they called. I grew up with them. And when I say grew up, I mean actual growing. Each one of them contributed something. And who was I? I was all of them at one time or another. A bit of Klinger during my new boy phase. Along with Radar being homesick. Probably some of Col. Blake and even Frank Burns at times. I hope I ended like Col. Potter but feel maybe it was more Charles.

However I was I always feel lucky as I was with those men and woman who made it the best times of my life.  I can never say thank you enough no matter how many blog entries I write, No matter how many stories I tell about my time there. Whether they ever come back into the fold or make their own way in life, my love and respect goes with them all. For unless you were there, you don't know. I am lucky to have known all of those I remember and wish and pray and hope for those I have forgotten.

numquam non paratus

No comments:

Post a Comment