Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Day 356 - AVATAR

Like I did with the new Star Trek movie, I said I wouldn't see it. But because I am a Trekkie, in a Star trek group and other factors, as Bryan gave me the dvd, I did watch it. How else could I discuss the points I did in a previous post. Avatar is another I won't go and see. Its another "the Bad Humans come in to take over a planet from the peace loving natives for a big, bad corporation."

I read a very interesting article and the responses on how this is a white film concerning the way that the whites treated 'fill in the blank' minority. I don't look at it as a color issue, but as a testimony about mankind. One of the rebuttal in that article I read was very well thought out, that I copied it, so let me paste a snip from it here:

"What is almost completely ignored is that there was little concept of private property, rule of law, justice, and freedom (including freedom from violence) among *nomadic* native tribes. Addressed even less are these tribes' barbaric practices -- cruel rites of passage, slavery, rape, murder, human sacrifice, mutilation as punishment for criminals, abandonment of the weak, torture, cannibalism, "knowledge" and "wisdom" obtained with hallucinogens, and severe punishment of anyone that demonstrated individuality, reason, or disobedience to the authority of witch-doctors. These attributes didn't suddenly vanish when white people showed up.

The initiative destruction of native peoples by settlers occurred, but very infrequently. In more instances than not, colonists attempted to trade with the natives -- i.e. tried to treat them as equals -- bringing modern technology, conveniences, and Enlightenment ideas in exchange for being allowed to establish towns -- and they were rewarded with unprovoked, brutal, bloody raids BY these natives.

This isn't "white perspective" or even "racism": it's simple historical fact. I absolutely do not condone any form of racism, slavery, genocide, colonialism, Manifest Destiny and the lot -- it's as barbaric in nature as the savages were. I'm not implying that that *all* natives (certainly not their modern descendants) remained savage, nor does it imply that *all* settlers and expansionists were peaceful, Enlightened victims.

Yet, I won't fall for revisionist history and the moral recrimination of centuries-dead Europeans, and I won't be suckered into believing in the archetypal "noble savage" (which is as obvious an oxymoron as they get).

So for once, I'd like to see a "spin" on the "white/human goes native/alien" story:

A MODERN human (his/her race being completely unimportant) enters a SAVAGE alien society, and demonstrates the value of a civilized technological culture that arose by abandoning barbarism. The film ends with the savages doing likewise, living the longer, healthier, more productive, more comfortable, and ultimately happier lives that can only result when superstition and primitivism are abolished and science and reason embraced."

There were similes about this being like "Dances With Wolves" and that Tom Cruise movie "American Samurai" or something like that.

Sorry...not falling for that. Nor will I see this movie...unless, like before, someone gives me the dvd. And even then I would consider it. I am one of these people that hate hypocrites, so I walk a fine line I know.

Also, I have finally figure out the difference between someone who is into sci fi and fantasy verses someone who just enjoys it. Someone who just enjoys it would say, "Its just a movie." Those who are truely into sci-fi/fantasy would start looking at it with perspective. Just like any sport fan would do with any sports movie that didn't accurately portray their sport. But on the same token, anymore politics can't seem to stay out of movies... even comedy's like "Did You Hear About The Morgans." The comment that Sarah Jessica Parker makes about the Sheriff's wife when she is handlin a shotgun, "Its Sarah Pallen." Typical Hollywood stabs.

So in closing, speaking just for me... I won't see it. I have my reasons, don't try and change me. I thought it was gonna be good, especially when I heard that Sigourney Weaver was going to be in it. Oh, well. I will always have Alien and Aliens... Aliens 3.. not the best. JMO.

No comments:

Post a Comment