Tuesday, April 20, 2010

We All Have a Story

Watching "Trauma" tonight (sorry Chelle). But the thing that got me was something that was said; we all have stories. Also that Rabbit wanted to be normal. After watching the episode, which was good and thinking about it, the same is true for Kemper. Its a given we had stories. But again, something was said about the baby that they found, 'Who takes care of them? ...left to fend for them self.' And I immediately flashed about Kemper.

I still need to write them all down, while I still remember. And though Robert had a good idea about writing them and then changing the names (I had the same thought) there is a part of me that doesn't. Some part wants to keep the stories, as I know very few remember them the way I do.

It is in someway like asking someone who has been in combat to explain what it was like. Some stereotypes do emerge. There are stories that are heart breaking and others about faith. Some have come full circle about redemption; as I can think of 5 people who have become extremely spiritual.

And what is normal? I realize that is what I was before. Before what is going on with me and has been going on with me. It was normal. I didn't think so. But now I see.

To tell the stories I reminded about the opening of Apocalypse Now. How he says to tell Kurtz's story he had to tell his own. That is as true with me as it was for him. Where to start?

The writing group I have been going to would say start anywhere. They are a very nice group of people, and that advice is as correct as any I have gotten from professional writers I know. But since I tend to write fiction, this non-fiction work, which would be semi autobiographical... I don't know. In some ways it would be cathartic, in others I wonder if it might hurt people, as I do write things honestly; I couldn't embellish on something that happened as I know it happened one way and not another. Also, I know some people don't want to remember the way they were then. They want to re-write their history. Hey! Maybe that would be the motivation for the murders in the story I am also trying to write. I like that.

No comments:

Post a Comment