Saturday, April 3, 2010

Memories

As I have mentioned before I have always wanted to write a book about my time at Kemper. I know there have been books and movies before and will be after mine, and mine is just my point of view. How do I remember these things? They are burned into my memory.

I remember later on at my time at Kemper, that one of the more grown up thing along with position and rank that afforded me to do this, was to have coffee and donuts after 1st mess with either some of my piers or faculty/staff. I remember those off green coffee mugs and the donuts; which had already been picked through so you were left with sugar coated ones or just plain ones. But to sit in that mess hall, with the dishes being cleaned and banged about in the back; people moving about with purpose and having the ability to sit and watch and talk for 15 minutes; THAT was something that defies explanation. Such a simple act that was important and significant.

Also, wearing a uniform, the same thing day in and day out; after 30 years, I realize was such a simple thing also. I had no worries. Its funny what you remember and hold as important and memorable.

No comments:

Post a Comment