Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Kansas City


Twenty years ago I would have never thought I'd live in Kansas City.  I have loved KC since I can remember; mom was from here and dad went to William Jewel. Always rooted for the Royals and the Chiefs. There is just something about KC, poised on the gateway to the West. Yea, I know, St. Louis is suppose to be the gateway, but it leads into Missouri which has rolling hills and fields and small towns and is green and has a changing season.

KC is the gateway to Kansas.  It rolls alright but is also v e r y flat. It leads into Colorado, on top of Oklahoma, below Nebraska and, to me, always was part of the old west in the stories of Louis L'Amour I would read.  And let's not forget that Dodge City is in Kansas.

Before I moved here I only knew the outskirts, with a few forays into downtown. But now, I am pretty familiar with a lot of it. I know I look at it through rose-colored glasses and you know what, I can live with that.

I always looked to the west; watched the planes disappear in that direction. Watched the sun go down behind the barns. Watched the sun go down behind the hill at Kemper. Now I'm a little closer and farther away than I ever thought.



No comments:

Post a Comment