Sunday, March 26, 2017

1979 Buick Skyhawk with the Roadhawk package



My father had an agreement from when I was a young kid. If I didn't smoke or drink, he would get me a new car for my 21st birthday.

Well, I got this car during my 16th year. Of course it stayed at the house until I could have it at Kemper.

The only real exposure I had to cars was at Kemper. Erickson has that kick ass white Trans-Am with the t-tops. Connors had his red 240-Z Toyota. There might have been a few others but those were the only ones I knew. And dad had a green Nova. So when I got back from ROTC Summer camp, dad took me to Ruether's in Glasgow. It was sitting there and I feel in love.

Front and rear spoilers, AM/FM/8-track, hatch-back and had a sunroof! My dad looked at the car and simply said, "It has bucket seats.' I said yeah, so. He just shrugged. I didn't understand until I tried to fit two people in the back seat and my father's voice came back to me loud and clear. Well dad, that's why it was a hatch-back, just fold down the rear seat and ta-da! More room.

Anyway, I l o v e d that car and I was stupid to "up-grade" to a yuppie car while going to college. That car took me on adventures with so many wonderful people. So many memories that it would take years to recount them all, and now they are fading like the leaves from trees.

But that picture, of that car, MY car. Takes me to another time. A better time with a group of men and women who made me  better person.


No comments:

Post a Comment