Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Past Birthdays

Wow, I hadn't realized I had let that much time pass.

My birthday is coming up on the 8th. I will be turning 50. Age is a state of mind I know. I don't feel 50 nor do I look it. I have had to show my license on more than one occasion to prove how old I am. But of course, at this special time in my life, I think back to Kemper.

At Kemper, you were tossed in the lake or the showers on 2 occasions; when you got promoted or your birthday. Usually you would be in the company area and chased until you were eventually caught. Depending on the time of year and the 'goodness' of your friends doing the tossing, would decide on where you went. Also, if you went to the showers you usually got shaving creamed also. I am going to recount two times on my birthday at Kemper.

I had 'helped' people go into the showers and pond on promotions and birthdays and I had gone into the showers on my promotions and on my birthdays. In fact it was one of those things that showed how much people cared for you. But that didn't mean you had to make it easy. Not to mention, you were in uniform, so you had better be prepared; as in you had a clean shirt, pants, shoes, etc, because they were going to be wet, shaving creamed or *ugh* pond watered. It was fun way to chase and lead a merry chase. No one ever escaped. They knew where you lived and you had to come back to your room sooner or later. And trust me, no rank was off limits. Sometimes the bigger the better.

It was in my 4th year at Kemper; I was a 2nd lieutenant, and I honestly don't remember what day my birthday fell, but I want to say it was a Thursday. as an officer with good grades, I could have a mid-week and i was taking it in the Officer's Club. By the time I was an officer, the O Club was a shadow of it's former glory, but still had a working TV and had some acquired basic cable. It was close to the club room, so right after 3rd mess I headed there to watch some TV and chomp on a grease burger and fries from the Club Room. I knew I would get it, hell I was prepared for it, but I had planned on giving a merry chase before I ended up  in the showers. So I wasn't prepared for what happened next. There was a knock on the door of the O Club. Being the only one in there I answered it; figuring someone was looking for anyone but me.

There stood Anderson, one on my cadets in my platoon.

"Sir, someone broke your tuba."

"What do you mean someone 'broke my tuba?'"

"I don't know sir, but its in pieces in your room, you can see it from the hall."

I figured someone had come into my room looking for me and had accidentally knocked my sousaphone off my bed and the bell had come off. It was a quick fix, i wasn't worried; it was also fiberglass and fairly indestructible.

So I got my hat and walked backed to the 1st floor of K barracks. It was close to the end of evening study so i didn't think anything strange as I didn't see anyone. My room was in the middle of the hall and I was almost there when someone yelled "Get him!"

With that the doors all opened and I was swamped by bodies. I was grabbed and lifted off my feet and propelled for the showers. Before I got there I stopped everyone and spoke up.

"Ok," I said, "I have two requests or I promise you I will make people walk funny before I go in: One, someone get my glasses as I don't want them broken and two; take off my shoes so they don't get wet."

I believe George got my glasses and someone removed my shoes. Of course by this time the showers were all going, it was steamy and the water was as hot as it could get, and in I went. I did manage to take a couple of the guys with me, but that was also part of the fun.

After that was over my glasses were returned along with my shoes. And when I got back to my room, my sousaphone was fine.

The last time I went into the showers I wasn't even a cadet. I had graduated at mid-term and was at Mizzou. But I came back on my birthday for this. I walked in for 2nd mess and I think I even told someone I was here because it was my birthday. I had a gym bag with spare clothes that i set outside the mess hall doors as I knew what was going to happen. Anyway, I hung out by the doors as everybody was getting their food and  then the prayer and announcements. It was announced that it was my birthday and though I wasn't technically a cadet I was still going to be got. As it was said that it was my birthday, my friends from Band and other companies were already moving. So was I. I knew I could could keep them busy for about 3 minutes. And I did. The more adventurous wouldn't care about their uniforms as they would want to get me. I remember Beaver really chasing me. Anyway, I was got and hoisted up over everyone and I was headed for the lake. I again my promise that I had no problem going into the showers but I would make people pay if I went into the lake. That veered them back to the showers. I asked someone to get my bag and it was got; after I found my way into the showers along with shaving cream.

I knew people that were actually upset that their birthdays were in the summer months as they only got to have that fun if they got promoted.

Do I miss that kind of birthday? Getting wet, having shaving cream sprayed all over you? Chased and possibly bruised and battered as you outran and fought your friends who only wanted to see you go into the showers or if they were mad at you; the lake?

In my life I have had awards and honors, and as I tell people that what I did and what I got at Kemper  means more to me than any of those. Kemper it was your peers. Men and women who served in the military, who made it through combat and Lord knows what else that life had to throw them. These people gave you their friendship and respect. They gave you important gifts like what made them tick and what made them hurt. What made them happy, sad and so much more. No other gifts have I ever gotten can compete with the friendship and respect that I was given by those people. That is something that is so dear to me that is indescribable and without a value. I always work to make sure that those that gave that to me will never regret what they have given me. I try and honor them and those that have already gone before us everyday of my life; fighting the good fight and thanking God for Kemper. Its the old adage; unless you were there you don't know.

Thank you everyone for those gifts. I can never repay you enough.





No comments:

Post a Comment