Monday, March 11, 2013

Guardsmen, Band and Chief

By the time my 4th year at Kemper rolled around, I was an officer. A 2nd lieutenant. My company commander (Martin) had actually been a new boy in my squad. The previous year I had been his platoon sergeant and he was the platoon leader. Now I was one of his platoon leader.

Those last few years had really solidified the band. We had gotten better, but this band was the best and would stay that way up til I and others graduated. Whenever Kemper wanted to send their best they sent the Guardsmen, the Color Guard and the Band. There was always rivalry between us and the Guardsmen. In actuality we admired and respected what they did with their rifles. To this day, I have NEVER seen anything like what they did. I hear some one say they were on a drill team, and I am sorry; to call what you were on a drill team? You were kids with white plastic rifles. I don't care how many tournaments you think you have won. The Guardsmen were the best. Eventually they faded away even before Kemper closed. Why? I don't know. Don't ask me. I only remember how they were. The very BEST! 

I was also lucky to have known 3 Yangers; Albert and I went through New Boy year together; he was college and I was high school. We were actually in the same PE class I remember, and became friends. The second year he was Guardsmen commander. My 3rd year, Leo came to Kemper. My 4th year, Leo was Guardsmen commander. My 5th year, Zardo arrived. And, you guessed it, he was Guardsmen commander my 6th year. All of them received their commissions and are some of the nicest people I have ever met! 

I learned how to spin a rifle by watching them and thats about it. And though the Band and Guardsmen had a rivalry, its like trying to compare Apples to a Mercedes. There is NO comparison. I would hope they would agree that for our size, the Band had a better sound twice our size, and we even went toe-to-toe with the 1st Infantry Division band. With Chief leading us, we could and did dam near anything he asked of us. Period. The Guardsmen had their own quality about them and I have nothing but the utmost  respect for what they did. They flung rifles at each other. Over others. Backwards. Talk about trust, precision and guts. And yes, Guardsmen were both men and women. They earned their black berets and carried the title "Guardsmen" with honor. I can think of two immediately; Julie Ulloa and Robin Smith who would immediately tell you they were Guardsmen!

I know; those who never saw them might say I am looking back at things with rose colored glasses. I could easily just tell you to Foxtrot Yankee. But you want an example, ok here goes: 

During one Parent's Weekend, they were doing one of their special numbers. Let me see if I can describe this. Two rows of Guardsmen spinning their 1903 Springfields; bolts soldered shut but still a hefty weapon; especially if you got hit in any part of your body with one. In between them were three more; one at each end and one in the middle, between those two. You are looking at abut five to seven people lengths in between the three of them. Two of them were also spinning their rifles, while the one on the very end had no rifle. All three were facing the same direction. When the time came they brought their rifles down and slammed them on the court twice and then straight armed threw them, behind each other. The first one threw to the one in the middle. The one in the middle threw to the one without a weapon, who at this time happen to be our big, black, muscular, sergeant-major. The throws had to be perfect as they were throwing behind them. If the rifle veered off it would hit one of the Guardsmen spinning his own weapon. They also had to throw hard enough to get to the catching Guardsmen. The one in the middle caught his with no problem. The one thrown to our sergeant-major spun one more than he might have been expecting and the barrel stuck into his bicep.  He caught it by that barrel-pulled it out of his arm and continued the maneuver  which was spinning the rifle some more. All the time blood was pouring out of his wound, Eventually that maneuver ended and he had to be lead off, as he was going to continue, as their show wasn't over. 

I don't have enough words to use to describe the pride, esprit-de-corps and professionalism in them. There wasn't anyone at Kemper in those years who weren't proud of the Guardsmen. Wherever they went they brought home trophies, plaques, medals, ribbons. Everyone was proud of them and rightfully so. They were the best of the best. And trust me, we had the best of the best there already. These were so head and shoulders above the rest of any drill team they went up against, I always felt sorry for the competitors. I was lucky enough to see some competitions, and again, I know I am bias, but there was no competition. No they didn't always win; everyone has a bad day; you get people who like some things and not like others. But for my money it was always the Guardsmen. 

The Guardsmen were college only. Becko and I both started in Delta Company as New Boys and were in a  few classes together. Becko was by far one of the funniest guys I had ever met at that time. Not to mention he was a heck of a writer, as he and I had Mr. Doyle's English class together. Anyway, Becko was not going to be a Guardsman yet, as he was in high school but he became their 'water boy' of sorts.  I say that because one time a group of them were on the court and yelled out to Becko, in unison, "Hey water boy, come over here and shine my shoes." He learned how to drill and was their equipment manager. I'll give him credit, he took everything and he worked hard to get that black beret. He left Kemper after two or three years, and I don't remember if he got it or not. But I know, he learned more about what a drill team was than any civilian 'drill team' member. He had the best of the best teaching him. 

Like I said, the Band, Guardsmen and the Color Guard went a lot of places. The Band was the voice of Kemper. The Guardsmen were for the eyes. And the colors were our National Pride. You knew who were were when we came marching down the street. And that's why were in such demand. 

Chief once gave me a compliment during my later years there, in that he could hear me when he sat on his porch across the street from Kemper. From then on I made sure I played loud. He said that I played like three tubas. I never wanted to let Chief down. Even to the point of never wanting to miss anything. One time when the band had an unexpected parade to go to, I had already put in for a permit for something. I think it was for a wedding or something for some cousin. I told Chief no problem, I didn't have to go and could make the parade, as I was his only playing tuba. 

"No worries Chief I can go to the parade."

"Did you already put in your permit and get it approved?"

"Well, yes, but you need me..."

"No. You go on your permit. There may come a time when something comes up and we need you more. But you asked for time off before this came up, so you will take it." 

I took it. And trust me, I would have rather been at the parade.  None of us in Band ever wanted to let Chief down. Ever. 

One time, the leadership of the Band screwed up. This was back when I was a squad leader.  I think Stretch was CO. I know Whitney was still there. Anyway, they and by association, the rest of us, let Chief down. Chief went off on us. All of us. We shared in the glory but by God we also shared in the ruin. 

I am not really sure I can effectively go into what Chief said, and you might be surprised that he would berate us like he did. Again, I can't explain it, but here goes; Chief treated us like professionals. Like an Army band. In his eyes that's what we were. Believe me, Chief knew we were young, but by treating us like what he knew, he raised us to a level that I can not explain to you. It's a feeling that is indescribable. We were BAND. We had Chief. He watched our back, no matter how bad we screwed up. But we NEVER screwed Chief. We may have screwed up, but it was not a slap against Chief. In any case, he let us have it in the band room. As he was winding down he said something that as soon as he said it, affected everyone in that room. I know. I saw it. See, we were on risers, and being a tuba, I was in the back and off the right side as you faced the conductor. I believe it was me and Cowgill. So I had a view of everyone. Chief said something like that we let down those people who were going to hear us and that "You all are a bunch of losers" for doing what we did. And then he walked out. I remember the leadership, literally all of us, sat there stunned. There was not a thing we could say or do. And if memory serves me, it was around Commencement and I think we missed a parade practice or band performance that we were suppose to do, without Chief. I think it was practice for the next week, when the parents and guests would be here, but we should have been somewhere, doing something and we weren't. 

After Chief had left I remember Stretch and Whitney standing up and basically saying Chief was right. They couldn't say anything as we followed their lead. We all filed out and back to the barracks. But there was an energy there. For the next week, we were motivated. During our practices, marches, whatever; we put everything into. 

That Commencement we kicked ass. We nailed every piece we played, we were where we were supposed to be, we looked good, we marched good. We kicked ass!

After the last performance outside, Chief gave us what I think was the first of the 'kisses.' He blew us all a kiss; his way of saying we nailed it. Then back up in the band room for one final talk, Chief said he was proud of us, that we did this great; that person nailed that particular part of a piece of music; in other words, we were back to being in the good graces of Chief. 

Whitney wasn't going to let an opportunity like this go by. After all of Chief's great words, Whitney said, "Well you know Chief; we're just a bunch of losers." 

Chief broke out into a smile and started laughing as we all did. We were back. We were Band!


No comments:

Post a Comment