Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Spring Awakening

One of the perks we here at the Missourian get is occasionally free tickets to events that we sponsor. One such event was the musical Spring Awakening.

I never heard of the play except it won some awards. so I was a bit shocked watching it. The music is good, and reminded me very much of Rent. The stage scenery is low keyed and has people sitting in the wings, and some of them are actors waiting to come on or part of the chorus that sings.

To describe whats it about; its set in 19th century Germany and is a coming of age story with teenage sex, abortion, child abuse, morality, teenage suicide, religion, school and a song which says "Totally Fucked." Since the audience had a lot of young people that got a lot of play. You had simulated sex on the stage and two guys kissing. Interesting in that it supposed to be Germany 19th century. And one of the guys on stage was, I suppose, to be a typical German; very blond hair. In fact he looked liked Malfore from Harry Potter.

I think this was influenced by Rent, from them lining up to the harmony of their music. While I never saw the stage production of Rent I did see the dvd. And loved the music. This, the music was good, not Rent worthy, but ok.

This is definitely not for everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment