Friday, October 1, 2010

Safe

When was the last time you felt safe? I don't mean comfortable, or secure. We can do that behind locked doors and load to bear with weapons. And that may be safe for you.

The only way I can describe it...well people In the military would know what I am talking about. Enlisted, NCOs and officers of smaller units (squad, platoon and company usually). In barracks you live with other people. Well, back in the Army that I knew, which, granted was over 20-30 years ago, barracks were still some of the old WWII type. They were transitioning into more condo styles. In any case, when you are surrounded by men and women like that, you feel different. I was thinking about that as I biked to work from working out. The coolness and the night reminded me of Kemper. It was cool, and there is a "feel" to it.

At Kemper, I could walk around campus and feel safe. Granted, there was also watching out for people who would prank you. But, it was simple. If something happened to you and it was from another squad. Then it was squad vs squad. If it was from another platoon, then it was platoon vs platoon. Company vs company. But here, if it came from outside, then the whole campus mobilized. You felt safe. And you could be an individual among the group.

I bring this up as we are having a reunion of Kemper Military. A few years ago when there was a reunion at KC, I went there with Beck. And I met some guys I hadn't seen in 30 years - Yanger and Dydasco! But as I fell asleep, it was like I slept like a baby. I woke up feeling the best I had felt in a long time. When you know people who have your back, after 30 years of no contact, its like a feeling I can not describe. And these men and women are as varied as the world, as these are people from all over the world. Many are former military. None of them are any I would ever want to seriously take on. In my mind, all of them are successful and I am honored and humbled to know them.

No comments:

Post a Comment