Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Reality Shows Suck...except

Ok.. I hate reality shows. Not 'dislike' not anything other than hate will work. Survivor and American Idol are two of my utmost. Men and women talk about deal breakers. If a woman I was interested loved them and wanted to watch, more power to her. As I am sure either sci fi, fantasy, horror or war movies may not be her thing. I won't make her watch those, don't make me watch them. I will do something else.

One of the very few that I liked, for obvious reasons was "Boot Camp." Early series in 2000; never made the cut. The only other one I really like is: (drum role) Dating In The Dark. Part of it, is something that I have always had to rely on, as I didn't get the second helpings of looks, was my personality. And it also proves that women, sometimes more than men, are wanting the good looking guy. I don't care. You have a tall, well built, blond haired, blued, tanned, yoga instructor, who says she wants a nice guy, sweet, romantic, takes her seriously, treats her nice, etc. I am sure that's what she wants. You don't hear the last part when she says, "and looks like Brad Pitt." I have seen episodes where the couples were connecting in the dark room, had high compatibility scores and then when the reveal comes around, you can see their face fall faster than watercolors in the rain. The image they had or hoped for was not the reality that was standing right in front of them.

Too bad for them. I know looks are fleeting; and a personality can add those 10-15% to help push a person over the top into giving that person a chance.

I know all the reality shows are shown on an endless loop somewhere hot, as that is hell to me. I know the next big singer may come from Idol; and you know what, I can live with that and I can live WITHOUT that also. Radio and the music industry decides for us what is good. Screw 'em. I know what I like and what I don't. I have had the rare privilege of knowing some musicians who, in my opinion, should be raking in the bucks for their music. The ones who make it are the ones who sacrifice; and I am not talking about 1 season to get to the finals of Idol. I mean years of sacrifice and what they went through to get where they were so as to be able to be ready when their time comes.

So check out Dating in the Dark. Season 2 just started. I wish they could do Dating in the Dark, in the Midwest and for the older ones amongst us who could use it. Would I want to be on DitD? Maybe. But if I wanted to do that I just go online. I would rather be the host/producer of DitDS show of the mid west. And come up with ways to do things to keep it fun and fresh. I though adding the roommates was neat.

No comments:

Post a Comment