Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Day 306 - Meeting Dale Dye


On Saturday October 17, I got the opportunity to meet someone I had only read about or seen in the movies: Dale Dye. He is an author, movie star, owns his own business and a former US Marine. He is a Missouri native, born in Cape Girardeau and attended the Missouri Military Academy in Mexico, Missouri. When I saw that he was going to be in town signing his new book and speaking at the Honor Flight event, I made sure that I had the chance to meet and speak with him. I had seen him in many movies and TV shows, and had read many things of his. Also, since he went to my school’s rival (I am a third generation Kemper Military School Old Boy Alumni and past president of the Alumni Association) I had to make an appearance.
I got there early, but another gentleman was there before me. We chatted a bit waiting for the captain to show. I found out that this gentleman was a former Vietnam veteran and was in the Marine Corps. Also his son is a serving US Marine and was just back from overseas. He was going to get a book for himself and another to send his son. And he was going to get his picture with Captain Dye and send it to him. I also had brought a camera for that same thing.
The captain showed up in dress uniform with all his awards. There are men who have a ‘command’ presence just by entering a room. Captain Dale Dye is one of them. The former Marine went first and spoke with him, explaining who he was and about his son. The captain readily stood up for a picture and shook his hand; something that I had seen a few times, a known celebrity getting their picture taken with a fan. But what was unique about this, was that after the picture was taken, Captain Dye made sure that the picture was to his liking (as he did when I had the opportunity to get mine taken with him also).
When it was my turn, he looked at my shirt and asked if I had gone to Kemper. Yes sir, I replied. He said he went to MMA and I nodded affirmative that I knew that, and that was one of the many reasons I was there. We spoke a bit about our schools and I shook his hand and thanked him for his service and for keeping the shows he worked on, the way the military was. I gave him a Kemper patch, (since Kemper shut down in 2002, I wanted him to know there were still Alums around) and hope he took it with the gratitude of many from Kemper who appreciated what he did and does. He shook my hand, and he has a very firm grip and I got my picture with him.
I hope there were many people who got the opportunity to meet a man who served his country, has written books and has made a living, making sure that Hollywood gets the military “right” in all its films and shows. He is the founder of Warriors, Inc, the leading military consultancy to motion pictures and television. Captain Dale Dye, a hero to me and many others is the kind of man we can be proud of. Though I only spoke with him briefly, he was certainly everything I thought he was. I am glad that I had the opportunity to meet him, and even more thankful that he was here helping out the Central Missouri Honor Flight and getting our World War II veterans to the memorial in Washington, DC.

No comments:

Post a Comment