Sunday, May 31, 2009

Day 150

I have always loved to write. Supposedly I even had a typewriter in my crib, along with 5 bottles of milk and one bottle of water (I have been told). I even had a subscription to Writer's Digest before my subscription to Soldier of Fortune. I wanted to be a reporter like Karl Kolchak.

For me, there is something about the written word, a book you hold in your hand and turn the pages. In this case I am like Samuel T. Cogley. (Go find that reference for those who don't know.) And my passion for books is well known. I also carry a book with me in case I am bored to the point that I would have a paperback book inside my sousaphone when we would do parade practice, as inevitably it would take longer and we would just be standing around. So instead of looking bad carrying a book with me, I would just stuff a paperback down the bell.

And I know; from reading WD to having talked with many, many, MANY writers, that like any other profession I have to write. That's why I thought a blog would help. And in some ways it has. I just need to do more. Also, to write what I know. Now that's the part I may have some problem with. I know a little about a lot of things, and a lot about a few things. The main thing, which a blog is best used for is writing about yourself, which is one thing I DO know the most about: me.

And while I am not shy by any means, I do take into account others feelings when I write. Be they people I know that I may say something wrong or just the usual boring stuff. I do try and write something worth reading. It could be as simple as something about me riding to work on my bicycle and seeing rabbits and squirrels, which I do see. Or about the story my co-worker told about a deer running down the street to Columbia College and making it. I said she was late for a class.

I will try and do better in my writing. It is almost like a prescription. I have always felt that writing exorcise inner demons and is a cathartic exercise. So here is my daily dose of medicine.

No comments:

Post a Comment