Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Old Album Cover

I always though that this looked like an album cover from the 1970s or early 1980s.

  • That's me with the tuba and Stetson, wearing my 'Europe' suit and boots. I took that suit and hat with me when I went with Mrs R. to Europe in 1981. I had two different shirts and ties so I could mix and match. I thought I was so cool.
That's George next to me, trombone. Ying to my Yang? Maybe. If I have said it once, I have said it fifty times, and will say it more; Harry Anderson patterned himself after George; or vice versa. George, as I have said, I would trust with my life. But if he said, 'Here, try this.' I don't think so.

Dennis is next, trumpet. You can't tell, but he has painted his eyes black, kinda punk rocker. And he was wearing a collar and leash.

Next is Tom, trombone. He's a preacher now in South Dakota I think. Originally from Texas and a helluva nice fella.

Bunch is next, lead trumpet. He and George were the co-leads of this ensemble. He is a consummate musician; a professional in the ways of music-even if he is from Arkansas.

And finally there can be only one....Randy Wright.

Twenty eight years ago and yet it seems like only yesterday. With the exception of Dennis I am in touch with all of them. George & Bunch I talk with all the time. Randy, less frequently. Tom, an occasional e-mail. I have no idea where Dennis is. Pretty good for 28 years I'd say.

As for an album cover or name, I have no idea. For someone who works in words I am at a loss. This truly touches very close to home and I have no words for what I feel when I look at this.

Maybe just call it "The Old Boys."

No comments:

Post a Comment