Friday, February 7, 2014

Jay Leno Retires

Jay Leno retired.  And honestly I hate to see him go. He was the last bit of class on late night. I kinda like Jimmy Fallon; one is for his band. There is a tuba player in it so I like them. Also, they do play some good music. But the politics. Fallon, like so many others will give the current administration, in my opinion, a pass. They have no problem bashing Republicans, but I want it to be equal. But of course it won’t be.

But I digress. 

I remember the night Johnny Carson retired. I was working late at my store in Columbia.  I knew there was no way I was going to make it home to see it, as it usually took me an hour to get the farm. This was before TiVo, so, I got a motel room, just to make sure I caught Johnny’s last show.

Johnny was the last bit of class-the last true performer. He would do whatever it takes to get a laugh and have a good show. I miss Johnny, Ed and Doc.

No one remembers Doc. I know this as a few years ago I was in a bar with a friend who I hadn’t seen in literally 30 years. So we are having a drink and looking around at this bar. It was in Columbia-so of course it was full of young women-students from the 3 colleges. Anyway, I made the comment that what do two old farts like us have in common with these young girls. I said that I bet none of them even knew who Doc Severnson was. He disagreed. So we took a poll of the bar. Of the 15 customers, 12 didn’t know. 2 had heard of him but only 1 actually knew he was on The Tonight Show.

So I am glad that Jay went out on top, but he will be missed. Letterman, that gapped tooth, brain dead comedian, is not one that I am a fan of. I know, he has a TV show and I don’t. I don’t care. Paul Shaffer is another, who, in my opinion, should just stick to making music and not try comedy.  They are no Johnny and Ed.

Thank you Jay. You did good.

No comments:

Post a Comment