Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Robin Williams

Robin Williams is dead. He committed suicide. I have seen many, many tributes about him; though some, very few actually, have wondered why so much media attention. I think if he had died in an accident or illness, there might be some diminished coverage. But because he committed suicide and was so funny, it makes people wonder. I like the meme of him, where a man goes to the doctor because he's depressed and told that the great clown is in town with the circus and to go and see him. The man then tells the doctor he is the great clown.

I pray for Robin's children the most. I pray for Robin. How terrible to think you were alone. But then most famous comedians use the pain to be funny and funnier; to hide it.

I regret never being able to meet him and tell him how his comedy was truly memorable. I know his politics and mine would never be the same, but he did a lot for the troops and the USO.

I remember seeing him doing a set at a base when they had Retreat and To the Colors played. How respectful he was. And then later he laughed it up. He was like Carson; I am sure he knew exactly what was going on. He just used it later to poke fun at himself. To me, any one who can laugh at himself is truly gifted. They don't take themselves too seriously.

I remember going to Colorado by myself on a vacation. I went to Estes Park, but made a pilgrimage to Golden-not to see the brewery but to try and find Mork and Mindy's house. This was before the Internet obviously. M and M were a big part of my growing up. As was Robin.

My roommate at Kemper also reminded me of him. Granted Ray was taller and bigger than Robin but he acted like Robin, and even looked a little like him.

Robin, I am sorry you were in pain. I am sorry for your family for their loss. I wish there was something-but then a lot of famous people leave at the peak. Almost 40 years ago you got your start on Happy Days. I wish you happy days and that you are making God laugh.

Second star to the right....nanu nanu.


No comments:

Post a Comment