Friday, March 26, 2010

Simple Man

I used to say that I was just a simple man. People who knew me looked at me side-ways. They knew me better. Or so they thought. I have been not simple as I am now. And I am getting simpler? If that makes sense? Part is because of what I consider natural occurrences. Things that are going on that I have no control. Like riding my bike all over. Not necessarily because I like it. I have found I do like it, but it didn't start that way. It was out of necessity and a way to save money.

My previous life is like that of someone else now. That role is over. That person gone. I wasn't simple; I was but there was a lot built on it. Like a foundation. It was built pretty good if I say so. My foundation was that of the land. My family's name: Herring. The good Missouri land and sky. Hometown of Glasgow. Then my awakening if you will. Kemper. Those are the supports, that all else can be built on. But at the base I am still a simple country boy. You see, growing up I had 3 TV channels, 720 acres of farm land to play and explore on. I had to make my own entertainment. If I was hungry I learned to cook. I can mend with needle and thread, as that's what we did on the farm. We also recycled before it was fashionable as that's what you did. You use everything. We grew vegetables and ate the animals we raised, caught or hunted. And at night, the sky was black that you could see a million stars and also the lights in the distance seemed like you could walk and touch them, they seemed close. In the distant you could hear the train whistle from the tracks near Salisbury. And then watch the planes fly over head.

At Kemper it was similar-the planes, the train. The lights. But also the feeling of belonging. And it was simple there. No TV in the rooms. You had a TV room, with certain hours you could watch. No computers then. So you actually talked to people in person. Or read a book. Or threw a Frisbee or catch with a baseball. You made relationships that lasted. And these two were added to my foundation.

I know whats it like to have a lot of room. You want to fill it up or you fill it up with stuff. See; what I did was, since I lived so far out and away from things, I wanted to make sure my friends, when they came out, were entertained. I was seduced that they need things to be entertained. But here was Schrodinger's Cat. Yes, they liked it. I had a stocked library of books, movies; an assortment of toys, large house with plenty of space to sleep. Land to explore and to breath. It was a blessed time. That was then. This is now.

Anyway, I found a design of a simple home that I have much affection for. I can see using this plan for a log cabin. I would have a basement and maybe a loft above. Basements... for those who have seen tornadoes and who have the land in their blood, its almost a must. Also, a great way to keep temperatures regulated, and a nice place for storage. But, the plans are sound.

And I tried to upload the plans here, but no go. I think it said it would be about 1200 sq ft. Double that for a basement and half of that for an up stair loft/bedroom/office.

And I am listening to John Denver now. His voice is truly that of Colorado.

No comments:

Post a Comment